The original portions of Alcazar, located at 406 High Street, were constructed circa 1680, and are the oldest standing construction in Burlington. Alcazar was originally occupied by Thomas Olive, one of the first Quaker founders of Burlington.
In 1739, Alcazar was bought by Richard Smith, Jr., an international trader whose fleet of ships sailed between Burlington and the West Indies. In 1750, Smith built the Blue Anchor Tavern next to his home.
Best-known among Alcazar's inhabitants is Henry Carey, a nineteenth-century economist, debater and political muckraker who authored Principles of a Political Economy.
In the heyday of the Birch Opera House, Alcazar served as a small hotel beside the larger Metropolitan Inn. In recent years, it has been converted to private offices.