High Street Burlington, New Jersey 08016 (609) 386-0431
In the mid-1800s, a series of consolidations took place among fire companies in Burlington. The Washington Engine Company and Hope Hose Company consolidated in 1849 as the Washington Engine and Hope Hose Company, and reorganized in 1850 as the Hope Hose Company. The joint companies chose a location at the corner of York and Union Streets.
In 1869, the Fulton Engine Company consolidated with Hope Hose, and the resulting company occupied the Fulton House on Pearl Street, but later that same year erected a building on the 100 block of High Street. That firehouse was used for 100 years, and in 1969, the Company moved across High Street to its current location.
Hope's steam-powered pumpers saw their share of action, at fires and elsewhere. An Amoskeag engine in use from 1872 to 1894 was called into service when the steam-driven pump at the City's water works malfunctioned.
Its successor, an 1894 LaFrance engine, was retired in 1924, but in January of 1928, a huge fire struck the Florence haystacks. After pumping water for 8 hours, the Mitchell Company needed relief, so Hope's steamer was pulled out of retirement and pumped for over 36 hours non-stop.
This LaFrance steamer has been preserved, and remains on display in the Hope firehouse, alongside the company's current truck, a 1981 Mack 1000 GPM pumper. The company also has a 1991 Ford Lighting/Support truck and a 14-foot rescue boat.