John Hoskins, Jr., a builder and contractor, was the son of an early member of Burlington government. In 1795, along with other local Quakers, he founded the Endeavor fire company. In 1797, he contracted to demolish the old brick market, and used the bricks to build a house which still stands at 202 High Street. Upon completing the house, Hoskins promptly sold it, never occupying it himself, but to this day it is known as the Hoskins House.
The restored colonial structure now belongs to the City of Burlington Historical Society, and is furnished with many period antiques from the City. There have been several archaeological digs on the site as well.