Located at 432 High Street, Lyceum Hall was constructed in 1839 as a public hall for lectures, theatrical productions and cultural programs. It was given to the City in 1851, and housed the municipal government for 140 years. Most present residents know it as Old City Hall. In 1910, the hall was remodeled and stylistically updated under the direction of architect Henry Armitt Brown. The building is the best example of Neoclassical Revival architecture in the City.
In 1991, government offices were moved to a leased building due to Lyceum's structural problems. In July of 1995, the New Jersey Historic Trust awarded Burlington matching grant funds to restore the building. Combined with an equivalent amount of local funding, the grant will be used for structural repairs, restoration of historic interior features, removal of asbestos, foundation and window repairs, repainting, and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Once restoration work is completed, the building will once again house Burlington's municipal government, and the Police Department will also be located in the vicinity. The City hopes to move the administrative offices back into the structure by the end of 1997.