Saturday, July 6, 1996

The Purchase from the Lenape

In 1676, a series of meetings were held between representatives of the West Jersey Proprietors and Chiefs of the Lenape Nation. The English wished to purchase the land along the Delaware River below the falls at Trenton. The Lenape agreed to sell the land where Burlington is now located, and roughly fifteen miles of land along the river in each direction, in exchange for the following goods:
  1. 150 pounds of gunpowder
  2. 144 pipes
  3. 100 fish hooks
  4. 92 yards of duffleds cloth
  5. 60 kettles (30 kettles, plus 30 more in lieu of wampum)
  6. 36 rings
  7. 30 blankets
  8. 30 pairs of scissors
  9. 30 guns
  10. 30 axes
  11. 30 awls
  12. 30 knives
  13. 30 needles
  14. 30 mirrors
  15. 30 pairs of stockings
  16. 30 barrels of lead
  17. 30 jews harps
  18. 30 combs
  19. 30 shirts
  20. 30 bracelets
  21. 30 bells
  22. 30 flints
  23. 30 steels
  24. 12 tobacco boxes
  25. 10 spoons of red paint

No comments:

Post a Comment