Bordentown Road Burlington, New Jersey 08016 (609) 386-0435
Neptune Hose Company #5 was organized on September 23, 1907, with a two-wheel hand-drawn hose carriage. Andrew H. McNeal, owner of the McNeal foundry in East Burlington - now known as U.S. Pipe - felt the need for fire protection at the East end of town. He donated land for the Company's first building, "for the purpose of giving East Burlington its first defense from fire," and many of the Company's first members were employees at his foundry.
In 1916, the Company purchased a 1-ton Ford Model T truck for $599, which was made into a hose wagon. In 1929, the Company's metal alarm gong was replaced with a siren - the second siren in the City. Three years later, City Council purchased a 1932 American La France pumper for the Company, equipped with a "fire foam system." Fifteen years later, a 1947 Ward La France pumper was purchased by the Council.
On February 4, 1970, the Company took delivery of a Ward La France 1500 GPM pumper with an automatic foam system. The largest-capacity pumper in the County at that time, the new pumper was nicknamed "Super Pumper." Housed since 1979 in the Company's new fire house, the truck has since been joined by a 1990 Emergency One 1750 GPM pumper. The Company also owns a 1949 Mack 1000 GPM pumper and a 1967 Thibault Support/Lighting truck.